If you are part of a wellness group or regularly browse through Instagram for dreamy photos and health inspirations, you have probably come across the word "hygge" and thought, "What the heck is that?"
Hygge, pronounced hoo-gah in English, is a Danish word that means cozy, but it embodies so much more than that. It is a concept of comfort, pleasure, and well-being embraced by the entire nation of Denmark in an effort to achieve a healthier and happier state and it is deeply part of their culture. Coming from a country that's commonly ranked as one of the happiest countries in the world, hygge is clearly working out for them and we definitely have something to learn.
We, at Sefte, have built our entire business around the ideas of mindfulness, sisterhood, well-being, and balance. So when we first learned about hygge, we couldn't resist embracing it whole-heartedly and apply its concept of taking time each day to enjoy the moment with the things and people that we love the most in our lives.
While the meaning is familiar, hygge teaches many of us living in this busy modern world a quite unfamiliar and forgotten practice of pausing, breathing, and reveling in the simple joys in life. We believe everyone can benefit from turning this simple act into a daily habit.
So how do you practice hygge and what does it look like? Here are some ideas:
- Wrap yourself in your favorite blanket on a cold day.
- Cook up your favorite meal.
- Play or cuddle with your pet.
- Catch up over the phone with a close friend or family member you haven't spoken to in a while.
- Enjoy a hot tea next to a fireplace. Long day? Turn that into a glass of wine.
- Cuddle with your loved ones.
- Take time to breathe and meditate.
- Give someone a really great hug.
- Go watch the sunset.
- Enjoy a long coffee break with a good book.
- Invite a friend over to chat and spend time together.
- Take a hot bath after a long day.
- Lay outside on a nice day to soak up the sun and look up at the sky.
- Turn your bedroom into an oasis for relaxation.
- Write in your gratitude journal.
- Watch a movie with your friends or family with no distractions (that means no phones!)
- Take at least 15 minutes each day to do something you truly enjoy.
While these seem like simple activities, practicing hygge can boost your mood and transform your entire day. We hope you start incorporating hygge so it can brighten up your life with comfort and positivity. It may be the key to your happiness!